Friday, May 8, 2009

Willie Nelson @ The Palace Theatre in Stamford, CT 4/14/09






So this was a great concert but then again what Willie concert isn't? My girlfriend and I had front row seats! Billy Bob Thorton and the Boxmasters opened. This was the first show they played back in the states since canceling the rest of their Canadian tour (I'm sure you've seen the interview). Anyway the band was pretty good, though 4 guitar players seemed a bit excessive. Mickey Raphael also sat in with the band on harmonica.

Ray Price was next.. I knew he was on the bill but some of my fellow concertgoers didn't and what a treat it was. Ray now 83 years old has a great set of pipes. His voice carried loud and clear throughout the concert hall. They really don't make music like this anymore and it's a shame.

Willie had come ouPublish Postt and immediately strummed the chords to Whiskey River and the Texas flag dropped to applause. Willie Nelson & Family were a 6 piece band that night, Willie being the only guitarist (Jody Payne has sinced retired). I would say they played for about an hour and a half chock-full of classics. 

I have seen Willie a few times now and each time leaves me looking forward to the next. If you haven't seen him live I highly recommend that you do. He tours regularly all through the year. The man at 76 years old tours more than most bands today. The chance at seeing a living legend in concert is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment