Saturday, May 30, 2009

PAUL SIMON: The grand reopening of The Beacon Theatre






I was lucky enough to attend the grand re-opening of the Beacon Theatre on Feb. 14 2009 to see one of my all time favorite singer/songwriters Paul Simon. Let me say that I have never seen a show at the Beacon before this concert but I have seen some old photos and watched a documentary on it recently. The way the theatre appears now is absolutely stunning. I only wish I took more pictures. At about half the size of Radio City Music Hall the Beacon seats 2800. It provides a very grand but intimate feel. Lots of gold detailing can be found throughout along with beautiful paintings and tall statues. Two balconies, a lodge and orchestra sections round off this magnificent music hall.

Paul Simon is without doubt one of the greatest songwriters of our time. He performed 2 sets which was mostly comprised of his solo work. He also threw in a few Simon & Garfunkel songs for good measure. This was a sold out two show concert! Opening night Art Garfunkel made an unannounced appearance and the duo sang a few songs together. There were also other celebrities there that night such as Paul McCartney and the Jones Brothers. Simon doesn't tour very often anymore so if you get the chance to see him in concert.. GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment