Friday, May 15, 2009

TOWER RECORDS

They recently took down the neon signs at this location in Massapequa, NY.




I took some photos recently of what used to be the Tower Records across the street from where I live. For those of you that weren't familiar with Tower Records, they were a specialty music store that sold Tapes, CD's, Records, Video's, Magazines, Collectible toys and other novelties. They went bankrupt in the late summer of 2006.

I used to frequent my local Tower Records, though I would only buy a CD on occasion. They had an unrivaled selection of music and videos as far as retail B&M stores go. Unfortunately what stopped me from purchasing more often were the prices. Unless the item was on sale chances are you could find the more popular titles cheaper somewhere else (Best Buy, Wal-mart, amazon etc.). The big box stores along with digital music becoming increasingly popular all but put Tower Records under. They simply could not compete and/or turn a profit at that level anymore.

I was sad to hear a store like Tower Records go because I always enjoyed browsing the aisles looking for something I couldn't find elsewhere. They had different sections or rooms in their stores such as the Classical room, The Loud Room etc. If you had a question they had a knowledgeable staff eager to find you an answer. That kind of help is very hard to come by these days especially in the big box stores. Try asking a question about Bach or Beethoven in Best Buy and see what kind of an answer you get.

Today I get most of music from amazon, eBay or iTunes. I still prefer to buy CD's over digital files but if I can get a good deal. I'll take it.. like that of amazon's daily deals where everyday they offer a digital album for a discounted price usually around $1.99.

Virgin Megastore in Times Square has recently closed though I've heard not do to low sales. I heard they did rather well in that location, However the owner felt clothing would sell better thus no more Virgin Megastore in Times Square.

I still miss these stores a lot. I miss feeling apart of something that went beyond an ordinary shopping trip. We live in an "on demand" I want what i want, when i want instant gratification kind of society. Don't forget how to take your time, browse around and make an experience for yourself once in a while.. It's worth it.

2 comments: